EGT for feedback

Stuart Woolford stuart at spechost.spectel.co.nz
Thu Aug 1 21:36:16 GMT 1996

> I'm new to the list and to the whole DIY-EFI thing in general.  All the
> recent talk of O2 sensors has got me wondering about another source of
> combustion feedback.  Has anyone tried using exhaust gas temperature for
> fine-tuning the intake mixture?  It would seem to me that you could lean
> the mixture to increase EGT or richen to lower EGT.  If you'd done some
> initial tuning with a gas analyzer to determine an optimum temp, this
> would work.  Any thoughts?

I believe the local jet boat racers use that, on custom comupters
(well, at least my bosses brother, who races jetboats, does..) - you
would not BELIEVE what they paid to have this system designed (theres
a sucker born.....)

however, I believe it works well, and is fast, and it easyish to run
1 per cylinder. The biggest problem is the EGT sensors designed for
this application cost a fortune! - I would just re-package standard
TC wire (type-N, probably..) in a through-drilled bolt to hold it..
Stuart Woolford, stuart at spectel.co.nz