Setting mixture with Nitrous

Todd King Todd_King at ccm.co.intel.com
Thu Aug 15 20:20:16 GMT 1996

  <<<
  From: David Crocombe <david at abc.GOV.AU> Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 16:43:49 +1000
  Subject: Setting Mixture with Nitrous
  ***
  What I've heard so far is that the oxygen sensors get ruined by the lead in
  leaded petrol; that maximum power (objective) is at a mixture of about 18:1 I
  think rather than the 14.7:1 for least emmissions.

  Yes, lead will ruin them after a period of time. Max power is obtained
  around the 12.5:1 range (rich), at least for forced induction.

  <<<
  All sensors I've heard mentioned work around this 14.7 mark. Are there sensors
  for those of us who require maximum power regardless of emissions?

  Granted, the typical sensor is intended primarily for a "binary" (high/low)
  type of application; but many people have demostrated that the sensor is still
  useful for setting WOT A/F. Most people shoot for a reading of 800-850mv at
  WOT, assuming the sensor is ready to go (warm, operating OK, etc.) Of
  course you must back up the readings with a best e.t. analysis as a drag
  racer... and this is from the Buick GN (ie turbocharged) camp; N20 or normally
  apirated might deviate a bit.

  <<< Any information or ideas would be most welcome. >>>

  I would suggest using the sensor with a) tanks of high octane unleaded for
  testing or b) go ahead and accept the loss of a few sensors and test with
  the leaded fuel. They aren't really that costly (Buick GN sensors are about
  $25 ea these days) and again, yes, I believe the EGO sensors can be very
  useful for setting your best power mixture. Read them with a circuit that
  has high input impedance.

  Todd  Todd_King at ccm.co.intel.com