Setting mixture with Nitrous

Matthew Lamari mlamari at origin.ea.com
Thu Aug 15 22:46:36 GMT 1996

Problem here is in OZ you can still get high octane leaded at the pump,
whereas the same octane rating unleaded is unattainable.  Also, Australia
switched to unleaded much later, and one of the problems with using unleaded
in the older cars (Besides compression and timing) is valve lubrication.
Unless they had hardened alloy valve seats, a car built for leaded (up to
1985-ish) just cannot run on unleaded.

And, in Australia, buick GN sensors aren't really that common.  For sensors,
you'd probably want to stick to one type of heated sensor (to fit it to
exhaust easily).  For example, if you wanted to use, say, a Falcon sensor,
you'd either have to keep paying FoMoCo $100 Aus a pop, or find a plethora
of trashed EAs.

The lead situation is a real bummer for any sort of
emissions/no-leanout-self-destruction feedback, either for hand or computer
calibration.

Anyone who knows a way to get a decent mixture feedback with leaded petrol,
please let me know as well.

Matthew.

Matthew.