Heads Up Display

David Crocombe david at abc.GOV.AU
Fri Aug 16 08:37:56 GMT 1996

> I'd like to install a heads up display in a car. Several years ago I
> disected a LCD display and noticed that the silver background could be
> easily removed.  To my surprise, the LCD was clear.  Could a lap top
> computer LCD be used as a heads up display with the silver background
> removed? Does any company market such a device?

Sounds similar to the overhead projection adapters we use for projecting
computer screen images. They are some form of LCD I believe.
The one we have is made by Kodak. You can get colour or black & white
versions.
I have heard that one automative company is playing with displaying
data on the windscreen by having a monitor in the dash pointing upward,
if I remember correctly. I think they do similar things with aircraft
don't they?

I think the concept is interesting but one has to remember that to read
them you would have to change eye focal length probably. This could
lead to loss of concentration on the road ahead. Better than looking down
at a dash though I suppose.

I guess what I am saying is that we would have to get used to them so
they are an aid and not a hazard.

Could add a whole new meaning to Drive-in theatres if we all just
projected the images on our windscreen!

The mind boggles.

David Crocombe,
Sydney,