80552, Air core meter

Kalle Pihlajasaari kalle at device.data.co.za
Fri Aug 16 11:16:33 GMT 1996

Hi,

> In an old Philips 8051 databook I have, it describes a meter movement
> called an air core meter - two coils are fixed at right angles to each
> other, and a permanent magnet moves the needle. To move the needle to a
> desired angle, the coil currents are set so that one coil current is
> proportional to the sine of the required angle, and the other is the
> cosine. The big question is, are there any cars available in Australia (or
> more to the point, in Australian wrecking yards) which use this movement?
> It looks like a fun thing to play with.

I think the Peugeot 305 petrol gague was of this type, used to compensate
for obattery voltage changes as the one coil has Bbat and the other has
a current limited version throug the sender unit.

Cheers
Kalle Pihlajasaari     kalle at data.co.za
Interface Products     Box 15775, Doornfontein, 2028, South Africa
+27 (11) 402-7750      Fax: +27 (11) 402-7751