Electric vehicle

Digital Boy tfaugno at qualcomm.com
Fri Aug 16 18:13:57 GMT 1996

At 09:26 AM 8/16/96 -0700, you wrote:
>> > Consider this, 4 off the shelf electric motors. Ridgidly mounted to chassis
>> > and connected to the wheel via cv joints.
>
>	No, No, No, you're not getting it.  We're trying to eliminate all the
>possible losses that electric vehicles incur, thus more efficient, thus
>less battery power required.  That's why the motors in the wheel hubs.
>That way no frictional loss through bearings, nor through CV's which are
>horrible.
        Take a look at the Dodge Intrepid ESX proto HEV. They have 250HP
Zytec (Zytek?) electric motors mounted where the brakes would be.

>> > A battery pack per current electric vehicle standards, and one off the
shelf small
>> > gas engine DC generators.
>
>	No again,  the turbine motor can be made to run at constant rpm and a
>much higher efficiency that any off the shelf Gas Generator.  Remember,
>we're trying to make something that will work,  not practical maybe, but
>if it does work, high volume manufacturing can make it practical.
        Try Capstone Corporation's website at
<http://www.ring.com/capstone>, they build a small, fuel effecient
turbogenerator that produces 24kW, and weighs 165 lbs.

>> > I think you know where I'm going. Generator is sized to propell
>> > the car at 55mph, stand alone. Generator and battery pack combined might
>> > give you 0-60 in 3 seconds.  Of course, all of this would require
>> > micro-processor control.  Ok experts, what are the real world physical
limits?

>	Not with a small gas generator you're not going to make it to 0-60 in 3
>seconds.  Specially with many tons of batteries on board.
        I'm not sure how to work the kW to acceleration thing. My general
idea on this subject is this, take the Zytec motors, mounted in a small car,
with a generator (Capstone's seems ideally suited). Sure, maybe the 250HP
Zytec's are a bit much, but why not 4 smaller motors at each wheel? Say, 75
or 100HP each?
        If I build an HEV, then it's going to have to perform as well, or
better than, the car with it's IC powertrain.

                Terry