Electric vehicle

Mike Fahrion mfahrion at bb-elec.com
Fri Aug 16 19:39:50 GMT 1996

Hi all - I'm new to the list and am coming in the middle of this
discussion - but had to through in my $.02.

In my opinion - the politicians that came up with zero emissions laws
must have had their heads thrust in some dark orifice.  Perhaps I'm wrong -
but their are *so many* serious problems with the concept that I
doubt that any engineer would consider zero emissions vehicles
a viable alternative for efficient transportation for the general
public.

To me it seems obvious that if we must have ultra low emissions
vehicles that a hybred is the way to go - although even this seems
extreme to me.  I think the standard IC engine has a long way to go
in its life cycle - Honda's ultra low emissions Accord for example -
has managed to exceed the governments emissions schedule greatly, for
a reasonable price.

I do agree however that sometimes technology can be greatly spurred
by such a government mandate - I just think that in this case - at
least for the short term, it will be the public that suffers.

Sorry for the outburst....
-mike
mfahrion at bb-elec.com