Setting Mixture with Nitrous

Jonathan Lloyd john at jall.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 16 19:51:05 GMT 1996

In message <199608150643.QAA13482 at calvin.trd.abc.gov.au>, David Crocombe
<david at abc.gov.au> writes
>I wish to know how we can measure the mixture lean/rich on a Drag racing
>car that runs leaded petrol and Nitrous Oxide.
>
>David Crocombe.
>Sydney, Australia.
I'me sort of lurking out here and trying to learn some electronics
before having a real go at things; it is coming slowly -- thanks guys.
I've wondered for a while now if it is possible to attach some
electronics to the spark plug!!! It needs to be "disconnected" when the
spark flies but for the period before and after could it be used as a
sensor.  Without going into the bumf the dissociation and ionisation
going on in the bore should be electronically measurable??? such data
should be able to allow investigation of maximum pressures, temps etc
and eventually be included in a control system.
It seems like the "easiest" way of getting data on the actual behaviour
of the power stroke which I guess is the key to max power??
Just thinking out loud!!
Jonathan Lloyd     john at anergy.demon.co.uk