Setting Mixture with Nitrous

Kalle Pihlajasaari kalle at device.data.co.za
Fri Aug 16 21:42:40 GMT 1996

Hi Jonathan,

> >I wish to know how we can measure the mixture lean/rich on a Drag racing
> >car that runs leaded petrol and Nitrous Oxide.
> >
> I'me sort of lurking out here and trying to learn some electronics
> before having a real go at things; it is coming slowly -- thanks guys.
> I've wondered for a while now if it is possible to attach some
> electronics to the spark plug!!! It needs to be "disconnected" when the
> spark flies but for the period before and after could it be used as a
> sensor.  Without going into the bumf the dissociation and ionisation
> going on in the bore should be electronically measurable??? such data
> should be able to allow investigation of maximum pressures, temps etc
> and eventually be included in a control system.
> It seems like the "easiest" way of getting data on the actual behaviour
> of the power stroke which I guess is the key to max power??

If you are happy with information one spark in the past you could
probably (not havin actually tried it) glean something from the
current waveform of the actual spark, should be able to indicate
spark voltage as well and might give a clue as to the mixture.

> Just thinking out loud!!
Same here.

Cheers
Kalle Pihlajasaari     kalle at data.co.za
Interface Products     Box 15775, Doornfontein, 2028, South Africa
+27 (11) 402-7750      Fax: +27 (11) 402-7751