CD Ignition

Sandy sganz at westworld.com
Sat Aug 17 17:45:13 GMT 1996

The CD ignitions might start better under low voltage circumstances, but,
the short spark length is not as good as could be expected. I have seen a
couple of articles that say since the duration of time of the CDI's spark is
so short, it is VERY prone to preignition due to the mixture not being
totally ignited, and other sorts of problems. Now MSD's don't have that
problem, as they will file several times, up to a certin RPM. I have use the
MSD-6a on a couple of cars, and it is a very good addition. Most of the
Pep-boy specials are not. Also many of today's cars with computerized
ignitions, use really low impeadance coils, (like the GM dual) and I will
create a LARGE spark even with really low voltage, with the dwell controled
by some uP or ignition controller. I think the GM coils will draw 26 amps at
12v if not controled by some form of current limiting.

Just some ramblings...

Sandy