My DIY EFI

Land Shark lndshrk at xmission.com
Sat Aug 17 19:27:50 GMT 1996

At 09:56 8/17/96 -0700, Messr. Knighton wrote:

>	I personally think some of the levels of sophistication that's going
>into some of these DIY EFI's are a bit ridiculous.

 I have to agree with Todd here .. you really have to decide whether you want
 a running car .. or an academic exercise ...

 You can run just about ANY SI engine on the PLANET with 6 channels of ADC and
 NONE of that CAN/OBD-II mess ..

 Here's a uC I suggest all you 805x'ers look at ..

 Phillips 87C576 .. comes in 44pin LCC .. 6 channels of 10bitADC, Timer array
 and 8k of on chip EPROM ..

 IF YOU CANT MAKE IT RUN IN 8K of ASSEMBLER then YOU CANT MAKE IT RUN!!!

 (Yes, I know .. you ALL wanna program in C++ ... ;)

 If anyone needs a little help with the file Todd put out, just let me know...

 The early 911's are suspiciously close to the early BMW M3 and 535i ...

>I've done a lot of work with some antiquated units as well as very
>sophisticated units and when it comes down to raw horsepower,
>there wasn't much difference to speak about.

 Again .. right on the MONEY .. some of the most POWERFUL cars on the planet
 BMW M3, Porsche 951, etc etc (OK, I'm talking factory, not those MONSTER 911's
 that Todd builds!) all run on very SIMPLE 8051 based controllers from Bosch..

 They use the teeth on the starter ring gear for position, and are reasonably
 accurate in spark and fueling .. spark generally down to +/- 1.5 degrees ..

 They even have (secret, generally unknown) capabilities to tie into a second
 small ECU for Boost, Knock, and even NITROUS control ..

 :)

 Jim