Leaded Petrol

Michael D. Porter mdporter at rt66.com
Mon Aug 19 02:49:00 GMT 1996

RABBITT_Andrew at mv8.orbeng.com.au wrote:

> >What I meant was lubrication, the lead is added to be a lubricant.
> >Bad things are said to happen without it.
>
> I think the 'upper cylinder' lubrication effect of lead has been
> somewhat overstated in the past.

I've been led to believe that "lubrication," is a bit of a misnomer.
Lead deposits have been less for lubrication that cushioning.  While the
effects of unleaded gas may be made less a problem by adding alum. bronze
guides, etc., the effect on valve-to-valve seat contact can only be
minimized by making the seats harder in the absence of lead.  Would like
to offer more than just hearsay, but the above is all I've been able to
glean on the subject in a number of years.
Cheers.

--
My other Triumph doesn't run, either....