Zero Emissions Vehicle (was Electric Veh.)

John Dammeyer johnd at islandnet.com
Mon Aug 19 21:45:12 GMT 1996

At 06:49 AM 19/08/1996 -0500, you wrote:
>Let's just cut all the crap about a ZEV.  It is nothing more than
>enviro-wacko induced, government mandated, Barbera Streisand.
[Big Snip]

You're right! Just transfers the problem elsewhere.  Not to mention th
horrific costs involved in manufacturing the battery technology to the scale
that is required if everyone started to use Lead Acid Based cars.  The
energy and pollution costs and associated lead poisening possibilities
should also be factored in for that.

Realistically a different power source is required, like fuel cells using
hydrogen and oxygen.  As i understand it in Vancouver there is already a
pilot project under way that uses fuel cells in a few buses.  There are
still emissions but this time the hydrogen combines with the oxygen to
produce water.  Now to make the hydrogen we're back to using remote
electricity for separating water into it's constituant elements.  Down side,
still uses electricity.  Up side, controllable power generation without
transmission line losses etc.  Other major side-effect, release one oxygen
into the air for every two hyrdogen; or bottle that and use it in industry
but..... heaven forbid if something went wrong with the oxygen bottling
program and some escaped into the atmosphere.......

John

Pioneers are the ones, face down in the mud,
with arrows in their backs.
Automation Artisans Inc.      Ph. 604-544-4950
6468 Loganberry Place         Fax 604-544-4954
Victoria BC CANADA V8Z 7E6