Zero Emissions Vehicle (was Electric Veh.)

Todd Knighton knighton at net-quest.com
Tue Aug 20 16:43:56 GMT 1996

> Realistically a different power source is required, like fuel cells using
> hydrogen and oxygen.  As i understand it in Vancouver there is already a
> pilot project under way that uses fuel cells in a few buses.  There are
> still emissions but this time the hydrogen combines with the oxygen to
> produce water.

I believe that BMW had created a hydrogen powered vehicle that produced
zero emmissions according to current testing methods.  But (and a very
big but it is)  they nixed the project because EPA would still not
accept it.  It was a 4 stroke type reciprocating piston engine and
required oil to lubricate it.  And the sealing methods were not 100%.
So we get some unburnt hydrocarbons from the oil.  Tough deal huh.

Now, the funny thing was that this thing blew away the efficiencies of
the power plants and all kinds of dinosaur related power producers, but
they still didn't like it.

I think the EPA doesn't care, THEY WANT ELECTRIC. and don't care about
any thing else.  Even if it's 1000 times better.

Todd Knighton
Protomotive Engineering.