Bosch Info and the Patent Office

Doug Rorem rorem at cherokee.eecs.uic.edu
Tue Aug 20 18:31:41 GMT 1996

>> To: "'DIY EFI'" <diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu>
>> From: Brian J Hanson/OIIS/EKC
>>   <Brian_J_Hanson/OIIS/EKC%KODAK at knotes.kodak.com>
>> Date: 20 Aug 96 13:21:23 EDT
>> Subject: Bosch Info
>> Sender: owner-diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
>>
>> I've been wondering about how to get the best info possible on Bosch EFI
>> designs since it seems to be quite difficult to get alot of detailed info on
>> their systems.  So on a whim I decided to try the on-line search of the US
>> Patent Office.  I was able to find the patents for most of Bosch's products.
>> The on-line information they give is very basic, but I was thinking, anyone can
>> get the detailed information of anything Bosch has patented in the US.  This
>> would provide all the detailed information about that specific system.  My
>> question is, does Bosch protect the "inner workings" of their EFI under some
>> "trade secret" law or would all of their info be available?  Has anyone tried
>> this?  It's my understanding that anything filed with the Patent Office is ava
>> ilable to anyone, right?

The problem with looking at the patent filings is that (the ones I've seen)
are just a bunch of legalese and not very informative. I believe that's
done on purpose to not reveal anything, but still have a basis for
a court challenge should someone manage to copy (or use) it.

--
Doug Rorem
University of Illinois at Chicago         (312)-996-5439  [voice]
Chicago, IL 60607-7053                    rorem at uic.edu