Slide Throttles

Todd Knighton knighton at net-quest.com
Wed Aug 21 16:37:21 GMT 1996

Paul,
	Another disadvantage to slides is on turbo motors.  One surge, or when
you slam the throttle closed, they tend to stick closed because of the
massive pressure placed on top of them.  Whereas the butterflies offset
the pressure equally on both sides of the shaft.
	Barrel throttles give very strange low flow characteristics, but do
have very nice flow at wide open.  They are hard to seal as well.  The
Oldsmobile Aerotech that set all the land speed records used it.  But
they said for emmisssions stuff it wouldn't work because of the leakage.

Todd Knighton
Protomotive Engineering