Slide Throttles

Michael T. Kasimirsky mtk at tmc.astm.cmri.cmu.edu
Wed Aug 21 18:19:58 GMT 1996

On Wed, 21 Aug 1996, Todd Knighton wrote:

> Paul,
> 	Another disadvantage to slides is on turbo motors.  One surge, or when
> you slam the throttle closed, they tend to stick closed because of the
> massive pressure placed on top of them.  Whereas the butterflies offset
> the pressure equally on both sides of the shaft.

Wouldn't engine vacuum also have a similar effect as well?  I assume
you'd want a push-pull cable system to prevent this.  Has anyone
here successfully built a slide throttle set-up?  How'd you do it?

> 	Barrel throttles give very strange low flow characteristics, but do
> have very nice flow at wide open.  They are hard to seal as well.  The

Yeah, but parts are available at the hardware store in the plumbing
department....  :-)

Michael T. Kasimirsky       ---->              mtk at tmc.astm.cmri.cmu.edu
Days:    Staff Engineer                     or mk4u at andrew.cmu.edu
         ASTM Test Monitoring Center		Phi Gamma Delta,
Nights:  1992 Suzuki GSX-R750 Pilot		NRA Life Member, AMA Member
         1991 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit Mechanic	DoD #1848