ZEV / REV

Kalle Pihlajasaari kalle at device.data.co.za
Wed Aug 21 19:37:24 GMT 1996

Hi All,

>     I used to work at DEMI as a chemist doing ZEV battery development
> (zinc air technology).  DEMI is no longer around, don't know if anyone
> picked up the technology.

Our local Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) did
development work on the Zinc Air batteries and one of the big
German electrical companies (AEG I think) bought the technology and
went into pilot production last year with proposals for a full scale
plant in Germany for Electric Vehicle use.  Have heard nothing in
the last while though.

How about a quick 2 sentence explanation of the technology in Zinc
Ait Cells (what is different about them) always wondered what the fuss
was about.

What I have always wanted to see is a (leathal ?) Hydrogen Oxygen car with
a simple 2 stroke motor and simply pressure controlled injectors that
let the gas in from balanced O2 and H2 galleries into the cylinder as the
last of the steam escapes from the exhaust port and the pressure drops,
closing automatically when the piston rises.  This would simplify
the problem of the injectors that has everybody so concerned. One would
get zero emmisions except for water and either H2 or O2 (depending on the
mix, adjustable with a lambda sensor possibly) with perhaps early or
late ELECTRONIC ignition control to get more or less power and some
way or adjusting the gallery pressure or the injector flow rate
(difficult with H2 but perhaps possible).

Are there any technical sources on the EFI systems used in older
MB 450 engines, they have analog brain which is a Bosh unit I think
and a friend of mine has asked if I can modify this to generate timed
injection for the V8 as at the moment it is a proportional system with
only 2 phases for all 8 injectors.  Is there any point and do I just
take the pulse width for the current revolution and delay the start
until the correct injectors turn has come and then hold the injector
open when the valve is open for the same time it would have done anyway ?

I was told that there were 2 pulses on each set of 4 injectors per rev
(or was it one per 2 revs) is this right or is it a random unsynchronised
dutycycle that just meters/proportions the fuel?

Cheers, great if somewhat noisy and verbose list.
Kalle Pihlajasaari     kalle at data.co.za
Interface Products     Box 15775, Doornfontein, 2028, South Africa
+27 (11) 402-7750      Fax: +27 (11) 402-7751