Truck parts Dynamometer.

wmcgonegal at rr.etc.ncr.doe.ca wmcgonegal at rr.etc.ncr.doe.ca
Wed Aug 21 21:58:21 GMT 1996

>What really is involved in putting together a dynamometer - either
>chassis or engine?

Building a chassis dynamometer is not a trivial task.  I have been
involved with designing and building complete chassis dynamometers at
our facility.  Building the rolls is a large task.  They have to be
machined on large lathes and balanced.  If you go with small diameter
rolls they must be carefully balanced as they will be spinning faster
then large rolls.

Our experience with chassis dynamometers is that they are not suitable
for making horsepower measurements (we use them for emissions work).
The tires slip on the rolls at higher powers, and there is a lot of
energy lost by the tires heating up as they deflect at the roll
surface under sustained high load.

With either a chassis or engine dynamometer you require a power
absorption unit (PAU) if you want to maintain a constant speed.  Some
have been suggested in previous postings, including the eddy current
style PAUs "Telma" and other brakes.  One has to remember that all of
the power coming out of the engine/vehicle has to be dissipated
somehow.  To continuously run at a high power output may require a
large body of cooling water.  One way we get around this with some of
our engine and chassis dynamometers is to use regenerative DC motors
as PAUs.  The DC motors operate as generators to absorb the power and
a power controller converts it to AC power which is fed back to the
power grid.  The cost of such a system is well beyond that of a DIYer.

Another style of PAU that is used is the water brake.  It consists of
a rotor that has vanes on it that rotates in an enclosure.  There is
another set of vanes on the enclosure which are stationary.  Water is
in the enclosure, and by varying the level of water in the enclosure,
the load can be changed.  There is also a heat exchanger built into
the enclose which uses water to keep the unit below a set temperature.
 The entire enclosure can rotate about the input shaft axis and is
held in place by a load cell which is used to measure force and
calculate torque.

For very small engine testing we have set up an alternator to be used
as a PAU.  The load is changed by altering the alternators field
current.  The electrical energy that is created is dissipated in a
bank of resistors.  Again, force is measured with a load cell.  We
also have set up PAUs that are essentially hydraulic pumps.  The oil
is circulated by a pump through a heat exchanger and a valve in the
circuit which is adjusted to vary the load by restricting the flow.

It may be possible to build a hydraulic (oil or water) PAU out of a
torque converter from an automatic transmission.  Of course you have
to keep it cool somehow.

I have seen motorcycle dynamometers which consist of a large roll that
has a lot of inertia.  Knowing the inertia of the roll and by
measuring speed and the rate of acceleration, you can calculate power.

I think the easiest way for a DIYer to calculate power output from a
vehicle is (as mentioned in other postings) to accelerate on a flat
stretch of road while recording speed versus time.  From this
acceleration can be calculated.  Power is calculated as Vehicle Mass *
Acceleration * Speed.  If kg, meters/second squared, and meters/
second are used the result is in Watts.

Sorry for the length, I just had to say it.

Will McGonegal
Electrical Engineer
Mobile Sources Emissions Division
Environment Canada