Direct Ignition

SRavet at bangate.compaq.com SRavet at bangate.compaq.com
Wed Aug 21 22:27:18 GMT 1996

brewer at thaad.tecmas.com (John Brewer) Wrote:

| I saw earlier today where Terry Hartman, in a post, made reference to the
new
| Corvette using eight coils and perhaps direct ignition.  My nomenclature
is
| still coming up on the learning curve and I was wondering what direct
| ignition is?  I hope it is not an idea I have been kicking around in my
| head for a few weeks now- then again if it is, I guess it means it was a
| good idea even if I was beaten to the punch!
|
| John Brewer
|

| "Any man who would trade liberty for security deserves neither." -  Ben
| Franklin

Direct ignition=no distributor.  One small coil per plug, the ECM fires
them directly instead of a larger coil that goes thru a distributor to get
to the plug.  It can also be set up as a wasted spark system, with one coil
per 2 plugs.  Both plugs fire when the coil is triggered, so care has to be
taken to select cylinders such that one needs to be fired, the other is in
the exhaust stroke.

--steve

Steve Ravet
sravet at bangate.compaq.com
Baby you're a genius when it comes to cooking up some chili sauce...