linear EFI

tom cloud cloud at hagar.ph.utexas.edu
Thu Aug 22 13:24:55 GMT 1996

>tom
>
>Have you actually taken the holley EFI system apart?  I would be interested
>in knowing what is actually inside.  I always thought that it was a digital
>system with a set of pot inputs.  If it was a true analog system, then the
>box should be about 1/4 th of the size.  Go ahead, take it apart, enquiring
>minds want to know.  If you would like to have a schematic drawn of it, I
>would be willing to do that too.  I have made a hobby of tracing schematics
>of circuit boards.
>

>David J. Doddek                                          |pantera at pobox.com

Yeah, I looked inside it, put it back together and hooked it up.  It's
a hybrid digital / analog.  Can't say if there's a micro in it or just
some VLSI in a large chip as there were no recognizable part nos.  Tearing
it apart to get the schematic is somewhere down on my list, but I guess
I figured I could do as well on my own (the concepts seem simple enough).
I'm just one of those guys that collects data forever -- especially
when I still have to finish tiling the entrance way, painting the
house, teaching the extra classes to pay for the damned Suburban
for the wife and kiddies ... etc.  (why won't Ford make one?  Did you
know that GM was still putting TBI in their pickups and Suburbans,
etc through '95?  Ford started putting port inj. into trucks in '86
or so.  Go figure.)

I have gotten sooo *professional* that I've actually cleaned out my
garage, taken virtually all my parts stock up to the college where I
work and given it to the students, and ditched most of my jewelry
making stuff.  I still have the two work-benches, scope, power
supplies, function gen, etc. plus the Dillon reloader and many milk
cartons full of brass, so I am still providing shelter for maybe
three to four thousand dollars worth of junk I don't use very often
while forty or fifty thousand dollars 'worth' of cars sit outside
in the driveway.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if I can't find the time to go
to the shooting range and practice my 2700 competition nor find time
to work on my pet electronics projects (hardly even water, much less
talk to, my plants) I guess I'll just spend some spare time at work
collecting data on, what at the moment, is one of my pet interests:
specifically making my toy go faster.

Oh, I'd like to have perfect fuel distribution and VE like everyone else
on this list, along with all the other little neat doo-dads (like data
collection, ignition control, emissions control, fuel economy, etc.)
My posts, though obviously opinionated (who me?), are, just like
the rest of youse guys, just me grubbing around hashing out some ideas.

So, back to the Holley system.  My poor Bronco's engine lies scattered
all over one of my workbenches, and I am determined to do it right.
which means it'll be there a while (gotta get funding, can't raise
taxes on anyone -- drat!!) so I may actually have time to take the
Holley beastie apart.  And yes, I've drawn lots of schematics from
PCB's -- not my idea of a good time (must admit I think a guy that'd
offer to do it for someone else is a little strange).  I'm not sure
I want to tackle doing the Holley unit, but, if I get snowed in, I
might (snows a lot here).

Thanks for writing  (my FAX 512-833-5745)
Tom Cloud
cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu