EFI musings

George M. Dailey gmd at tecinfo.com
Thu Aug 22 23:51:54 GMT 1996

At 08:39 AM 8/22/96 -0500, you wrote:

>"George M. Dailey" <gmd at tecinfo.com> wrote:
"chomp"
>>Simple, If you buy an already engineered system off of an junked car and
>>retrofit to your carbed vehicle, you get that excellent mix if very low
>>price & DIY satisfaction plus 14mpg city (plain HT-350 though).
>>

>>GMD
>>

>George,
>
>Thank you.  A few of the posts I take the time to print and save (and
>share).  Yours is one of those.  You've struck a chord with me --
>what you've done is what seems to me to be the most logical
>course of action.

>My problem is that the Ford EEC-xx don't seem to be very 'loser friendly'.
>Someone mentioned using a GM unit, and I can see that that might
>not be such a bad idea -- mixing the Ford manifold, etc. with a
>GM controller.  (Hey, I've (very slightly) even considered putting
>a GM 350 back into my Bronco for the simple reason there is so much
>stuff available for it.)
>
>While I'm on this subject:  Hey, Ed Hernandez.  You're with Ford.
>Why don't those guys promote more stuff for the car afficianado, huh ??
>
>Thanks,
>Tom Cloud

Thanks Tom, my head swells at the seams! I think you hit the nail square
this time.  I recommended this to a 351 Ford man some months ago.  He
ruptured an internal organ from his histerical laughter. I may have even
posted this once also.

I can't think of any major reason why the GM TBI would not be an easy swap.

Think about it: use the GM seven terminal HEI module connected to the
Fords's pick up coil leads (calm down Ed). I done Datsun 280ZX(s) this way,
ignition only, with no problems. Except that, the $200.00 savings using the
GM module allowed my buddy to go on a two day drinking marathon ;}

Fab the adapter plate from 5/16 plate.

I think the differences between the two engines (GM 350 and Ford 351) are so
slight that the sohpisticated code in the ECM will compensate. Every thing
else is childs play!

Question Ed, Why is the early Ford ignition module so big when compared to
the GM HEI IC?

Good luck Tom.

GMD