EFI musings

George M. Dailey gmd at tecinfo.com
Fri Aug 23 04:24:06 GMT 1996

At 12:08 PM 8/22/96 -0400, you wrote:
>>While I'm on this subject:  Hey, Ed Hernandez.  You're with Ford.
>> Why don't those guys promote more stuff for the car afficianado, huh >??
>
>Excellent question. Wish I knew. And it's not just Ford, the aftermarket
>seem to place a premium on Ford bits IF they offer them at all. And most
>'open' rags seem to have more Chevies than Fords(ie, Hot Rod, PHR, etc).
>Maybe it's a chicken and egg thing, but I still wish I knew the answer
>to your question. I have suspicion$, but I can't elaborate.
>
>Still collecting responses...;)
>
>Ed Hernandez
>Ford Motor Company
>ehernan3 at ed8719.pto.ford.com

Ed, I think I can answer this one. IMHO, I perfer to modify GM vehicles
because there's greater parts commonality between models, divisions,
componets, and engines.  When a caddy tilt tellescopic wheel can be directly
bolted in a chevy truck with 'plug n drive' harness connections, a DIYer
can't refuse the option to mix and match. From 1955-1996 the small block
really hasn't changed much. This gives the after market suppliers a large
base to grow on. Once the momentum starts, there no stoping. Transmissions
from GM seem to fit any GM vehicle.  I had a few Ford friends that almost
commited suicide while trying to swap transmission.

Oh, one more analogy for those Ford fans that are still holding lunch in
there stomachs.

IBM gave there PC operating systems away. Not because they were fine
christine folks, but because they did not think it would ammount to any
thing anyway. Apple on the other hand, did not even tell there maintenance
people how their machines worked, let alone give anybody software.  As a
result most of us are communicating on IBM compatables. Most experts say the
Mac is the better platform, but the IBM machine had the infrastructure of
many different people working to improve it and, more importantly, push it.

But then,..... I could be wrong.

GMD