EFI musings

John Faubion jfaubion at beaches.net
Fri Aug 23 04:51:54 GMT 1996

> >While I'm on this subject:  Hey, Ed Hernandez.  You're with Ford.
> > Why don't those guys promote more stuff for the car afficianado, huh
>??
>
> Excellent question. Wish I knew. And it's not just Ford, the aftermarket
> seem to place a premium on Ford bits IF they offer them at all. And most
> 'open' rags seem to have more Chevies than Fords(ie, Hot Rod, PHR, etc).

Well Ed think of it this way, the small block Chevy was built for almost
forty years with very few parts that were not interchangeable. The Ford
289-351W is probably the closest engine to this kind of interchangeability.
Mot engine don't even come close. Now consider you are a manufacturer of
parts. You don't want to limit your available market do you? So you look at
all of the engines available. Now if you make an intake manifold for a
small block Chevy, and there are 10 million of them out there on the road,
then you have a potential market of 10 million units. Granted you may only
sell 0.5% of that market but that's still 50,000 units! Now if you made a
similar manifold for the Ford 351 Cleveland (which if I remember correctly,
there were only about 900,000 total made??) and you sell that same half
percent that's only 4500 units. But your development costs were probably
about the same for both manifolds so the price per unit to make them is now
more. Does anyone not understand why Chevy engines are cheaper and also
more common than for others?

John Faubion
jfaubion at beaches.net