EFI Conv.

peter paul fenske pfenske at direct.ca
Fri Aug 23 17:33:10 GMT 1996

At 08:04 AM 8/23/96 -0500, you wrote:
>At 09:33 PM 8/22/96 -0700, you wrote:
>>First off a lowpressure? fuel pump must be used. 15 lbs is the nominal
>>pressure. Most EFI pumps are in the 50 lb range.
>

>Hi Peter, let me add a few tokens.  I have sucessfully ran The TBI with the
>TPI pump with no problems. The regulator was able to compensate.

I would be leery George. Although theoretically possible. 50 PSI though
requires new fuel lines.

>I have also ran the TBI with no VSS input with no adverse effect. Repair
>manuals state this is for TCC lock up primarly.  I've read that you can hard
>wire the P/N switch to supress the check engine light from coming on the TPI
>systems.

I have wired up the P/N switch in a crunch. However no egr(ha ha) and
a few other goodies. Idle control has an offset for increased idle speed
in drive. So idle control in drive will suffer. All you will not get
throttle follower action. This could mean a stall on rapid throttle off.
The cure is to turn up the Idle speed. No error codes seem to be
generated.

>Of special intrest to you Pete, while I was wiring my system I did the
>following. GM's 1227165 ('89 TPI) is a direct plug in for GM's 1228746 (???
>TBI, I think '89 police car). I know this aint uncommon but, when I powered
>it up by mistake, and turned the distributor the injectors fired on the TPI
>harnes and it displayed code 12.  Some TPI pros said that it will run the
>TPI engine but tends to get rich on the top end.
Pro means WOT enrichment table out of calibration. I wonder
what your block learn numbers are??

The 165 ECM 86-89 F body. 90-91 S10 is a good ecm. FYI the 90-91 S10 is map
driven. I have the code but too busy to look at it.
A hardened version the 727 is used in 90-92 vettes and syclones.
The only thing I was under the impression a throttle body requires peak and
hold and the 165 uses a mondo CMOS fet Xistor to drive the injectors
usually saturated. The fact that they work indicates no problem in
this area.

>Just thought I'd pass that tid bit to you.  I you can figure out a way to
>universalize
>the GM ECM, I'll name my next child Peter.
>
>Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Oh and tnx for VATS info. Changed a bit in code to defeat Vats in my
730 project. Have confirmed data on timing, idle parms, and fan control.

CU: peter