CPI vs. TBI

peter paul fenske pfenske at direct.ca
Fri Aug 23 17:39:00 GMT 1996

seen, they still seem like TBI.

>CPI has been described to me as there being one or two large fuel
>injections in the throttle-body area; then there are runners from this
>"Central Port" to each of the intake ports.  This sounds to me likes it's
>fairly similar to a carbeurated manifold with fuel injectors in the
>throttle body (instead of a carbeurator).  How is that different than
>TBI??
>
>Thanks,
>-Jody

Hi Jody
You are correct as there a similarities between CPI, TPI and TBI

CPI is to have all the performance advantages of TPI with the
cost of TBI. ie cheaper.

How it does this is by using dry and tuned runners along with
tubes connecting the two injectors to a injection point close to
each intake port. Then using a low pressure injector similiar to a
diesel but only about a few PSI. Fuel get injected directly into the
intake port when the main injectors open. Thus you don't have to
worry about fuel dropout ect in the runners and they can be optimized
for torque ect.

GL: peter