Camshaft/crankshaft sense

Kenton A. Hoover shibumi at cisco.com
Fri Aug 23 21:36:07 GMT 1996

In the designs I've read for an electronic ignition system, there is
usually a missing notch in the sense wheel to sense one full rotation of
the sense wheel.  My question is, to do the initial calibration for the
electronic ignition controller, does the controller take (up to) one
rotation to make sure that its assumptions about TDC are correct before
starting to fire the plugs?

A second question is, does anyone sense crankshaft and camshaft positioning
separately?  This sounds silly, but it would let one sense timing
belt/chain failure almost instantly, so one could inhibit plug firing which
might save some bent valves.  In theory, you could sense belt/chain wear,
but I don't think you'd want to spend the money on that level of precision.

| Kenton A. Hoover                                      | shibumi at cisco.com |
| Security, Disasters, Technology -- It's My Job        |                   |
| Engineering Computer Services / cisco Systems, Inc.   |      408 526 5249 |
|       "My baby loves me so hard, and gets me so fatigued                  |
|        Sometimes I think I'll join the Junior Anti-Sex League             |
|        Well, well, well, ooooo                                            |
|        There's just no word in Newspeak for the things that she can do"   |
|                        -- "1984 Blues", Austin Lounge Lizards             |