DIY_EFI Digest V1 #243

Steve Powers steve.powers at spdg.COM
Fri Aug 23 22:43:51 GMT 1996

Einar suggests:

> >The biggest problem with almost any dyno is getting rid of the heat
> >generated. For a 200HP engine, that's more than 500,000 BTU/hr.
> >That's enough to boil off 523lbs of water per hour, or 65 gallons.
>
> Hook it up to your hot water tank, spa or swimming pool. No, I'm not
> joking. They are ranging from large to huge in heat storage capacity,
> and you can enjoy the heat before it dissipates.

hot water heaters work expectionally well, I can attest to that.

We had a massively parallel power distribution system to test. It
consisted of 44 power supplies (300 VDC in/48 VDC out), each having
4 300 watt bricks each. Feeding these supplies was another parallel
system which consisted of 3 paralleled lab supplies (300V/50A each).
I needed to see the effect of fully loading the 3 lab supplies, so
purchased a used water heater for $25 and bought the largest elements
I could find. I opened the bottom drain and connected a running
hose through it. With 45KW to dissipate, it was too much to let
it simmer. With full power applied and the water running through it
was just warm to the touch.

steve powers ... '95.5 S6 ... '95 620RX/C ... '91 K100RS-16V ... '88 R100S
spowers at spdg.com * stratos product development group * seattle, washington

"I must tell you that these are strong Bavarian beer-carrying horses, not
 the smaller ones of Italy." (Ferdinand Piech)