Strain gages on the drive shaft for torque measurement

wmcgonegal at rr.etc.ncr.doe.ca wmcgonegal at rr.etc.ncr.doe.ca
Mon Aug 26 16:38:23 GMT 1996

>There exist slip ring assemblies that allow one to gage up a drive
>shaft.

At out facility we have several torque measuring devices.  To get the
excitation voltage to the rotating strain gage and the signal back to
the signal conditioner, a non-contact rotary transformer is used.  One
set of coils rotates near a stationary set.  Excitation voltage is fed
through one set of coils and the signal voltage is fed back through
another set.  The excitation voltage is an AC signal (3kHz).  The
signal coming back to the signal conditioner is also AC with an
amplitude proportional to the torque.

There are a few chassis dynamometers at our lab that have in-line
torque transducers that use this type of set up to measure torque.
The transducer is mounted between the dynamometer power absorption
unit and the rest of the dynamometer.  There is also a car, here,
equipped with "torque wheels" that uses rotary transformers to get the
signals to and from the strain gages.  Instead of having the strain
gage on the drive shaft, this car has an adapter plate that bolts
between the hub and the tire (one for each of the drive wheels).  The
plates have the appropriate strain gages so that torque can be
measured.

Will McGonegal
Electrical Engineer
Mobile Sources Emissions Division