real time dyno

Todd Knighton knighton at net-quest.com
Tue Aug 27 23:30:13 GMT 1996

> For those of us without easy access to dyno, but with pretty good tools
> such as LSM-11 Bosch a/f meter  and a datalogger recording all engine
> functions such as fuel pressure, turbo boost, egt, exhaust backpressure,
> intercooler in/out, and J&S knock minitor out, do you believe you can
> get decent results in the car. I saw your previous post @ such but did
> not know the equiptment you were using. Obviously a dyno with readout
> of bsfc and the ability to stay at a particular cell is best. On the
> other hand with my logger, I can take data at 100 times per sec and
> just drive the car and review data later.
> Enjoyed your posts. Lotta good common sense.

Frank,
        Yes, you can get good results in the car, especially with a good
datalogger.
        My point was, that acceleration is not the key element.
Obviosly by
your equipment list, you do not either.  As well as, it's not safe to
drive and try to look at gauges.  A datalogger makes it very nice.
        Our other problem is the cars we test are extremely fast and to
calibrate a 700 hp engine in a Porsche is hard to do at low speeds.  We
were commonly running 160 to 200 mph to get good steady state type
results, otherwise you're locking up the front tires at low speed (under
100mph) to try and load the thing.
        Good luck with your project

Todd Knighton
Protomotive Engineering.

P.S. I'm not trying to be a dyno snob, just trying to share some
experiences with you guys, and try to keep you from killing yourselves.
        Almost Been there... done that.