EFI Conv.

Todd Knighton knighton at net-quest.com
Wed Aug 28 19:57:22 GMT 1996

> >From what I understand, the ECM designed for the peak and hold type can use
> the saturated injectors with out problems but not vice versa. However from
> the looks of it should be a simple process to design a board to use a peak
> and hold injector driver to take the signal from the ECM and fire the
> injectors. This way we won't hurt the ECM and you could use either injector
> type.

Yeah, we've had to do that.  Good injectors beyond 36#/hr arent
available in 15 ohm.  As well as at high pressure (above 5 bar) they
stick close because of the limited driver type.  They're slower, not
repeatable, etc etc etc.
We had to make drivers that would invert the output of the computer,
then drive a typical peak and hold circuit.  The trick was, on late
model OBD I and II cars, they look for faulty injectors, so you need to
place a load resistor on the output.  Not much, but just enough that the
computer still thinks theres an injector out there.  Otherwise the
drivers work great.

Todd Knighton
Protomotive Engineering