Schematic of a GM ALDL -> PC converter

Mark Bjork snomo at ballcom.com
Tue Dec 3 14:22:51 GMT 1996

Michael F. Sargent wrote:

> I have no idea.  :-)
>
> The level shifting from ALDL levels to RS-232 must be the problem. Async
> communications is very forgiving of clock speed mismatches. It has to be.
>
>         Mike

a logic 0 for any voltage above 2.7v. Therefore, even though RS 232 is
meant to be -15 and +15, the ALDL signal of 0v (logic 0) and 5v (logic 1)
will work if the signal is "inverted".

I am not a comm port expert, but from recently checking some serial
interface databooks, i belive the above is true.

Mark