Ford Escort ECU problem

George Lerm glerm at iafrica.com
Tue Dec 10 16:01:49 GMT 1996

Hi all

I need some help or information.

I have a '96 Ford Escort 1.8GLi 16V. I am not sure which ECU it has, but this is my sad
tale.

I have taken the vehicle for its 20000km service. After it was completed I was handed
back the vehicle. I drove it for +-30km and it failed on me.
I tried to re-start it, ran for 30 secs and died once more.
Contacted the service agent. They sent out the mechanic.

When he arrived after an hour, the machanic tried to start the vehicle. It sprang to
life and idled(typical). He monitored the ECU with a scan tool. At first it would not
communicate. Eventually established comms. Checked out fine according to diagnostics.

Drove the car back to service centre. After about 25km, the car surged again. Managed to
get it back to the agent. They tried again with the scan tool. Found nothing wrong.

Decided to change fuel filter(??????). Did exactly the same. Would idle for some minutes
and then stall. Battle to start. Some over an over again.

They removed ECU and found it to be incredibly hot to the touch.(is this normal??
Ambient around 29 degress Celsius).

I would like to know if somebody has had this experience before, or know of it.

I would appreciate any help or comments about this matter.

(Sorry for the long mail)

Regards
George