oil pumps (not efi)

Chuck Tomlinson tomlinsc at ix.netcom.com
Wed Dec 11 15:06:57 GMT 1996

Tom Cloud wrote:

> Neither my mentor/guru nor my part$ guru could tell me why I should
> use a high volume pump.  Seems to me to really just be a waste of
> _precious_ horsepower and a source of unnecessary wear on the cam
> and related components.

I agree 100%, and so does every good high-performance engine book
I've read.  The HV oil pump is a throwback to the days when folks
"built 'em loose", possibly because they felt compelled to run
engine oil that was very thick when cold (e.g. straight 50 wt).

The only time an HV oil pump *might* make any sense is with a
large-journal aluminum big block that has to operate at oil
temps from -40 deg to over 300 deg F.  With a sensibly-built
iron small-block, an HV oil pump is completely unnecessary.
--
Chuck Tomlinson