MAF Sensors Placement

Mark Eidson mark.eidson at tempe.vlsi.com
Wed Dec 11 15:53:45 GMT 1996

Todd, with the problems you have described does MAP work better for these
applications?  me

At 05:11 PM 12/10/96 -0800, you wrote:
>Mark Eidson wrote:
>>
>> In turbocharged or supercharged systems should the MAF sensor be placed at
>> the inlet, between the impeller and intercooler or between the intercooler
>> and intake manifold?
>
>	It's a compromise either way, between the intercooler and the intake
>manifold the thing picks up all kinds of resonances and the flow path is
>not exactly laminar.
>	But, and that's a big one, anywhere prior to the intercooler the thing
>suffers from blowback when you lift off the throttle.  The MAF reads in
>both directions and will register positive flow even though the throttle
>is shut down after a boost run.  The engine will flood out with no air
>and lots of fuel.  We've tried just about every type of recirc valve,
>and pop off that we could and did not completely remedy the problem.
>
>Todd Knighton
>Protomotive Engineering

* Mark Eidson                        Voice: (602)752-6513                 *
* Staff Design Engineer                Fax: (602)752-6000                 *
* Manager System Integration and                                          *
*   Verification                    E-Mail:  mark.eidson at tempe.vlsi.com   *
* VLSI Technology, Inc.                                                   *
* 8375 South River Parkway                                                *
* M/S 265                                                                 *
* Tempe, Arizona     85284                                                *