Fwd: eddy current brake

tom cloud cloud at hagar.ph.utexas.edu
Wed Dec 11 22:37:56 GMT 1996

>Hi there,
>
>think the Eddy.effect is exlained enough, so lets go back where the idea came
>from (can't remember who it was, but what it was):
>reducing/removing backlash of the ignition rotor!

Help me understand ..... (I've listened to related discussions re
ignition control for a while)

I hear the 4 pointed star crank pickup isn't good enough to use
a PLL to develop nth degree resolution.

Same for the distributor pickup.

So, seems everyone wants to use either the flywheel teeth or a gear
attached to the cam (maybe even the cam gear??).  Is that right?

I know n-nothing -- at least not practically.  Seems to me the crank
pickup with PLL would work.  Any variation due to speed of the tooth
approaching the pickup giving faster rise time ergo changing reference
could be compensated for either in an analog circuit or in a confuser
using either a lookup table or (probably) a simple trig function.
I don't think the crank's gonna have much backlash :-)

As far as backlash, why wouldn't an averaging function take care of
that?  After all, how fast can an engine change speed? and the delta-speed
seems to me to be the most egregious factor (pun) in successfully
implementing some kind of smoothing circuit (maybe even an f-v convertor ??)

Now, there's an idea I absolutely haven't explored .... Do an f-v conversion
and filter it ??? would that work?

Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>