Fwd: eddy current brake

Matt Sale mds at mot.delcoelect.com
Fri Dec 13 12:55:40 GMT 1996

600 RPM is a typical V8 idle speed, but cranking speed may be more
in the 200-400 RPM range, and the accel and decel's in the crank to
run transition are quite severe, making a PLL approach like this
problematic.  As others have mentioned, PLL jitter is not your
largest error source, accel, decel, and just the sinusoidal nature
of crankshaft speed due to the firing events cause errors.  Thats
why more reference points are better, up to some realistic limit.

I think a PLL based system can work, though; if its thoroughly
thought out.

--
Matthew D. Sale
msale at holli.com   http://www.holli.com/~msale

All responses are my own and should not be mistaken
for those of Delco Electronics or General Motors.