oil pumps (not efi)

tom cloud cloud at hagar.ph.utexas.edu
Fri Dec 13 13:34:18 GMT 1996

Coupla things:

 1 - I've just found another area where you can mark me dummy:
to wit, the reason the oil pressure in my truck has remained constant
for five years and 107,000 ++ miles is that the 'gauge' is really
just a switch that moves the pointer to the same place regardless
of the pressure.  I thought the oil system in my truck was pretty
remarkable -- now I know why!  ANY OF YOU FORD GUYS OUT THERE ???
You can tell corporate for me that I am some ticked!!!  If I'd wanted
an idiot light, I'd passed on the "gauges".  I feel like I got
cheated ... no, I *KNOW* I got cheated.  I ordered gauges and I got
an on / off indicator.  A light would have been better.  And what'd
Ford save?  They still had to have the gauge (and that probably only
costs a coupla bucks), all the wiring is there, so the price savings,
if any, is simply the diff between the cost of the pressure switch and
a pressure sensor -- couldn't be much.  If they'll do that, wonder
what other wonderful surprises I have yet to discover?

 2 -  regarding Darrell Norquay <dnorquay at iul-ccs.com>'s reply, below,
it is my understanding that the oil pump has a pressure relief or control
bleeder (I don't have one here in front of me, but I'm pretty sure of
that).  If so, the volume the pump can deliver is not necessarily the
volume it will deliver.  It will pump oil against the engine until the
pressure builds to the pre-set limit and then the bypass will divert
the unused oil back into the pan or into the pump's intake (dunno which).
Ergo, the pressure stays the same and the volume is no more than a stock
pump's, assuming that the stock pump could maintain the same pressure.
Course, if there are sloppy tolerances, etc, the hi-vol pump would come
nearer keeping the pressure at the desired level than the stock -- least
that's how I understand it.

Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>