Fwd: eddy current brake

tom cloud cloud at hagar.ph.utexas.edu
Fri Dec 13 17:14:36 GMT 1996

>On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Matt Sale wrote:
>
>> 600 RPM is a typical V8 idle speed, but cranking speed may be more
>> in the 200-400 RPM range,
>
>FWIW, most engines have a cranking speed in the 100 to 200 rpm range,
>based on my observations on 'scope readouts during tuneups, etc.
>
>JD

I still don't know how the Ford system works!  (BTW, MSD sells a
crank pick up ignition system now!)  But, if you set the crank
pickup to give pulses at some standard, nominal crank angle, like
10 deg BTDC, you could use the pickup pulses to fire your engine
and then throw in the required time / angle offset to get the
desired firing angle.  Of course, the time required to get a desired
crank angle offset from the base pulse position varies with rpm.

Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>