oil pumps (not efi)

Chuck Tomlinson tomlinsc at ix.netcom.com
Fri Dec 13 18:42:11 GMT 1996

> From: tom cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>
> >The recommendation appears
> >to use a high pressure pump, instead.  This would imply that there is,
> >in fact, a difference.
>
> Oh, there is -- look in your Summit or Jegs or ASAP catalog.  You
> can buy 'stock', 'high vol.', or 'hi-pressure' pumps.  And I 'spect
> the onliest difference in a hi-pressure pump is the size of the
> relief spring (just like in electric fuel pumps).

Tom, that's true in Chevys, and I'd guess it's true for Fords too.
IMHO, a high volume oil pump in a street engine is the result of a
*mistake*: either running excessive clearances, or thinking that
reaching relief pressure at very low rpm is worthwhile (it is not).
Use the std volume pump and run good synthetic oil.
--
Chuck Tomlinson