oil pumps (not efi)

George M. Dailey gmd at tecinfo.com
Sat Dec 14 04:17:41 GMT 1996

Tom my friend, sounds like you're geting caught in the Hi-performance Bull
Shi@ routine

Fact #1 As far as the SB chevy is concerned (probably fords too), you will
not find a better designed oiling system than the bone stock oiling system.
Millions have been spent perfecting it.  Sure, some greasy mechanic, proped
on a shade tree chewing tobaco, is saying "High performance engines need
high performance oil flows!"

Brings us to fact #2. Most high perf (high reving) engines have a problem of
too much oil flow at engine speeds above the original limit. The winning
racers actually restrict the oil flows or go to a wet sump design to help
manage the resulting high flows.

Fact #3. You can't increase oil flow unless you increase pressure also,
assuming you don't open bearing clearences.  Sure, the slick salesman with
the cheap leasure suite is saying "Increase the bearing clearences
man...jack up the oil flow and pressure and F L O A T the crank on a bed of
oil and she'll last forever...even at 12,000rpm. If they didn't tell you
this, how could they convince you to buy their higher priced hi-perf parts.

Check out HP book's "How to hotrod the smallblock chevy" they may have a
ford BB version. This book should be titled "what parts not to waste your
money on" very entertaining with testimonies from WINNING racers. You would
be surprised at what works and what doesn't.

I know what you're thinking Cloud, I've been there and done that with lots
of "hi-perf junk" to prove it.

BTW, racers used to put the BB pump in the SB to reduce distributer chatter,
the BB pump has more teeth, hence less pronounced chatter. All to have
better spark timing consistency, which gives consistant power.

Hope this helps your cognative dissonance.
GMD