oil pumps (not efi)

Clint Corbin ccorbin at rt66.com
Sun Dec 15 03:46:39 GMT 1996

>I have come into this thread about halfway through, so someone may have
>already raised this point.
>If you increase the performance of an engine, the engine will generate
>more waste heat. And as the secondary purpose of the oil is to remove
>this heat from the internal components, if you increase the volume of
>oil ciculating you get rid of this heat. Hence the high volume pump.
>Also if you check most dry-sump setups, they carry a lot more oil than
>stock for this very reason.
>
>NP

But you do have to watch out that you don't get the coolant(oil) going to
fast.  It takes a finite amount of time for heat to transfer from on thing
to another.  The greater the temp difference, the faster the transfer, but
it is still a finite about of time.  If you get the oil going to fast
through the bearing shells, it will not have enough time to pick up the
heat it needs to.  This can lead to over-heated bearings even though the
oil temperature is remaining low.  The same thing can happen to the
water running through the heads and block, as well as the air flowing
through the radiator(the last one is not as big a problem for cars, but
water cooled aircraft generally slow the air down with an expansion chamber
before it gets to the radiator).  To much oil pressure can be a bad thing.

Clint
ccorbin at rt66.com
ccorbin at intel9.intel.com

PS:  yes, I know this is not directly related to efi, and if there is too
     many negative responses, then it will not happen again.  From me,
     at least!