A newby

George M. Dailey gmd at tecinfo.com
Sun Dec 15 07:29:24 GMT 1996

At 02:55 PM 11/29/96 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello folks,
>
>I'm new to this list ...
>I'm wanting to put fuel injection (probably a GM 2.5L TBI unit) on
>my 4cyl. 22R toyota motor. ...
>I've researched the 2.5L TBI unit in question and decided it is
>a good candidate for my project but am unsure about most everything,
>but am really unsure what to do about the signal that would come from
>the GM dist. ?? I *think* all the sensors used with the 2.5L engine
>are easily adaptable to my engine besides the dist. firing signal ????
>
>Can anyone give me any advice or shed some light on this for me ??

I've tried to answer this post twice! This is the one I was working on right
before I down loaded the lightning bolt. Weather's calm so I'll try again.

First off, I would not do this unless you want a very quick, easy, extremely
cheap, and reliable TB EFI system. I dont know any thing about the 22R. If
the CID of the 22R is near 2.5L, and it's not a two plug per cylinder or a
16 valve engine you will not have a problem with the dist. interface.  I've
used GM HEI modules in Datsun 280Z's for years and I think Peter Fensk was
doing it before then. All you need to do, is to connect the 22R pickup coil
wires to the GM HEI module.  Mount the module on the fire wall or where ever
it's convienent. Beware that some engines are not symetrically fired, some
GM V6's for example. This will complicate things. I know for a fact that
almost any signal will trigger a GM HEI module. I had one connected to a
coil on my bench. It even fired with a Ford pick up coil. I've even seen the
HEI module inside import modules. If you really want to sleep good at night,
hook one up to your 22R and see if it will fire a coil.

Let me know how you come out. Check the DIY archives I have talked about
this on several occasions.

GMD