Flywheel/Encoder patterns

Stephen Dubovsky dubovsky at vt.edu
Sun Dec 22 19:22:59 GMT 1996

At 05:49 AM 12/21/96 -0500, you wrote:
... we can then go to sequential injector firing, and
>eliminate the waste spark to prolong ignition system life.
>Mazda

Im not sure the plug in the exhaust stroke actually arcs over in a twin plug
system.  Most (if not all new inline-4?) motorcycles the 2 coil w/ twin
secondary arangement you are talking about.  I haven't tried it myself, but
a good friend (and the shop book) says you dont get an extra spark when
using a timing light.  I think the principle is that the cyl in the
compression stroke will arc over first so the breakdown voltage of air will
not be reached in the other cyl.  This should work well if the plugs are
gapped similar and everything else is working right.  A stock kawi or honda
will rev to 14k+ rpm before the rev-limiter comes in.  I just dont think you
have to worry about ignition system life when this makes things so much
simpler...
Enjoy,
SMD