more fuel pressure

John Hess JohnH at ixc-comm.net
Mon Dec 23 15:09:34 GMT 1996

----------
From:  George M. Dailey[SMTP:gmd at tecinfo.com]
Sent:  Tuesday, December 17, 1996 8:59 PM
To:  diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
Subject:  Re: more fuel pressure

Well Cloud, I would say this is true except for one tiny fact.  When
GM (and
those other fellas) established WOT fuel maps, they did it to
maximixe
power. There are (were) no WOT EPA standards to meet. The skys's the
limit.
Assuming they made a mistake on there WOT maps, there might be
improvements
in altering the A/F ratios. One Hi-perf. book I read, said that if
there was
any SINGLE item on todays computer controled cars that could be
changed
(without breaking the emission laws) to increase their performance,
one of
the hundreds of engineers on site would have done it. Performance
sales!
Would you by a car that advertised, "The Lowest rated horsepower cars
in the
world...and damn proud of it!"?

When the FAQ is completed, line one should be:
Q- Can I raise my fuel pressure to inscrease my WOT power?
A- No. If you have a stock automobile, and its is working properly,
increasing fuel pressure (with no other changes) will not increase
power.

Real Answer...YES!
At higher RPMs, most stock injectors will be maxed out on fuel flow.
 Increasing the fuel pressure allows an increase in overall flow AND
better atomization of fuel, both of which add to efficiency and power.
 Additionally, the engine will probably run slightly richer throughout
the range.

John

Good luck,
GMD