Spellcheckers

Peter Wales pjwales at magicnet.net
Mon Feb 5 18:03:15 GMT 1996

>Peter, with all due respect, one of the biggest problems the U.S. has
>is that it is blisfully ignorant of other cultures. English is not
>the only language spoken in the world. In fact, I believe it is
>*third*. A quick look at this guy's name and location will tell you
>that this guy's mother tongue is French. If you spoke French you
>would understand why he spells like that in English.

I did look at and note his address, and said "up there". I prefer to
disagree with you on the spelling being in french. It just looks bad to me.

>I thinks he did
>quite well....you understood what he was trying to say -right ?

No, and that was the reason for the comment. Working my way through all of
the spelling errors became such hard work that I gave up and went onto the
reply, I wouldn't have, because it would have been too much like hard work.
This is why there are spell checkers, so that simple errors can be
eliminated by the computer. Poor English is a different story, and my French
would be a lot worse than his English, but I would try and run it through a
spell checker to get some sort of chance of the best possible responses to
my questions.

If the guy didn't speak English then the grammar and text content would be
very different and then everything would be excusable.

> How about some slack ?

Ok,you answer the question, I'm off to the next posting

>Mark Hillier
>mhillier at dataradio.com
>Montreal, Canada
Peter Wales
President Superchips Inc Florida
Chairman Superchips Ltd Buckingham     "Timing is everything"
Superchips home page with all the answers  http://www.superchips.com