Sensor Questions?

Bill mymove at serv01.net-link.net
Tue Feb 6 01:44:34 GMT 1996

At 10:42 AM 2/5/96 -0800, you wrote:

>Clint writes:
>
>>Quick question: what exactly is going to cause this "sudden increase in the
>>amount of required air" that is going to draw a vacuum?
>
>I don't know all of the physics behind it, but it is related to the velocity
>and inertia of the air, length of intake track, etc.  The previous post
>about "acceleration enrichment strategies that are a function of throttle
>transients" was correct and is how the computer compensates for this
>condition.
>
>>Just remember that a MAF system also has to be calibrated to the engine it
>is
>>on.  The MAF give out a voltage (or frequency) depending on how much air is
>>going through it.  It does not tell you "currently, there is x Kg/sec
>flowing
>>through me".
>
>Excuse me?  That's exactly what the MAF *does* tell you:  mass air flow
>(kg/hr) flowing through the meter and into the engine.  That's the beauty of
>the MAF.  Pressure, temperature, and density variations do not have a
>(large) effect on the accuracy.
>
>Bryan Zublin
>bzublin at gi.com

I think what Clint is saying is that the MAF produces a frequency or voltage
PROPORTIONAL to the mass of air currently passing through it, rather than a
binary or BCD number showing exactly what the current flow is.....its all a
matter of the way he phrased the statement. With any 2-wire device, it's
usually the user's responsibility to decode the data into some meaningful
result.