IAC

ARTHUR OKUN arthurok at ix.netcom.com
Tue Feb 6 06:12:42 GMT 1996

_________________________________
>Subject: Re: IAC
>Author:  diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu at INTERNET
>Date:    05/2/96 4:25 PM
>

>You wrote:
>>

>>     On the subject of the GM IAC(idle air controller) for the TPI
>engines.
>>     Does anyone know of a replacement, working of sensing the
>temperature
>>     or similar, ie. some sort of bi-metal spring system.  The
problem
>is
>>     that I need some sort of idle stabilisation on a TPI system but
>the
>>     ECU does not allow for control of the standard IAC.
>>
>>     Is it possible to leave the IAC off all together?
>>
>>     Any ideas will be appreciated.  Preferably the parts should be
>>     available of Australian cars, since US parts are to expensive
>over
>>     here.
>>

>>     Dan        dzorde at aesprodata.com.au
>>

>the iac is just a little stepping motor  gm bottoms it shut at start
>and then backs it off a a certain number of steps to control idle
>mixture air and also as a deceleration valve during throttle release
>closing. what sort of ecm are you using?
>ford uses a solonoid thats pwm to do the same thing  but ive heard the

>gm stepper works better and smother as long as the valve lead screw is

>kept clean (i own a iac gm ).
>maybe i could design a little gaget using a pic16 up.
>Does that wolf unit have any output that could control   throttle air
input   you realize that its a multiphase ac  stepping motor
could   probably make a circuit using cheap ics  that  would  open it
realative to tempature or how about a super simple circuit to open or
close it  with just   a pair of push buttons  when you read it  with
a scan tool it just tells you the number of  counts open   80 is pretty
much maximum but it will send it more if it thinks the iac is sticking
so i guess you could concider it a feed back loop .>