REQ. Info on EFI

Paul Shackleton p.m.shackleton at hud.ac.uk
Tue Feb 6 21:24:14 GMT 1996

Brian wrote:

>`Hi I am looking for info on EFI for a friend. He does a bit of
>rallying and was reading in a magazine about a man in England that
>built is own version. This is like the ProFlo fuel injector in that he
>can alter the settings while it is running. Unlike the ProFlo this
>connects to an ordinary PC . This allows him to put it on a rolling
>road and fiddle with the settings till he gets the right horsepower
>etc. The Circuit I understand was called M3d and the guy built it for
>a Few hundred pounds. I would appreciate any help on this as he is
>driving me up the wall.
>                Thanks
>                       Brian Prior

This system has recently come on the market. It is, as you point out, called
M3D and is produced by a South London (UK) firm called Emerald Cams. M3D
started out as an ignition only setup and has recently had injection added.
The cost is UKP300 + VAT for ignition only and UKP350 + VAT for both. It
comes as a kit which includes the ECU, wiring harness, throttle pot, free
software and sundry other bits and pieces and can be set up on the fly using
a PC. It appears to be suitable only for 4 cylinder motors, although I have
heard of someone fitting it to a Mini (A-series engine) using only 2
injectors (siamese intake).

The bloke who runs Emerald Cams is called Dave Walker and is the Technical
Editor of Cars and Car Conversions (CCC) magazine, which has run a couple of
articles on M3D. Emerald have had their system hooked up to a Golf GTi and
have also linked it to a pulsed nitrous kit.

I haven't got the advert with me, but if you get a hold of a copy of CCC,
they advertise in there.

I am soon going to be fitting one of these systems to a GM 2.0 16v powered
Westfield, coz at 350 pounds plus some homemade throttle bodies, you can't
go wrong. It works out cheaper than a pair of carbs and anyone elses
programmable ignition system.

If you want an address/phone no., just ask and I will dig the advert out.

Paul
P.M.Shackleton at hud.ac.uk