Spellcheckers

m_mcdonald at marx.ENET.dec.com m_mcdonald at marx.ENET.dec.com
Tue Feb 6 23:06:07 GMT 1996

It's time for the flaming about spell checking, grammar checking,
etc. to stop.

IMHO the real point is having effective written communication among
us DIY_EFI enthusiasts.  Speaking as a former mathematics teacher and
current software technical writer, I think we communicate quite well
as we exchange questions/answers and problems/solutions.

I certainly notice many spelling and grammatical errors in the messages.
Rarely do these and other errors reduce my understanding of the messages'
content.

As an American who has made his share of grammatical mistakes while
speaking German in Europe, I understand the difficulties non-Americans
have with English.  I also commend their sincere efforts in writing
without using a computer to check their spelling.

Peter, we appreciate the technical help you've given us and want to
continue receiving it.  I just don't think your non-technical comments
belong on this list.

In summary -- while my job centers around communicating technical
information effectively, I encourage perfection but am not upset by
less-than-perfect English on 'Net discussion lists.

Marll McDonald   KB1AGM
m_mcdonald at marx.enet.dec.com

These opinions are strictly my own.